Light Duty Cleaners / Custodians Westhills YMCA-YWCA (Langford, BC)
Positions: Casual, Permanent Part-Time
Wage Rate: $16.00 to $16.50 per hour
Hours: Casual = up to 19.5 hours per week
Permanent Part-Time = 20-34 hours per week
Applicants are asked to include their work availability in their application (must specify days and times).
Nature and Scope:
We want you to join our team of enthusiastic Y staff! Join our team and work within a positive, welcoming, and safe environment at the Langford Westhills YMCA-YWCA! Light Duty Cleaners/Custodians will provide excellent cleaning services throughout the Westhills Y facility. The main responsibilities of this position are to clean the fitness facility, including change rooms and washrooms, exercise areas and equipment, and public areas (lobby, stairways, and halls) at the Westhills Y. Considerable attention to detail is required.
Casual positions are entitled to a free individual YMCA-YWCA membership.
Permanent positions are entitled to a free YMCA-YWCA individual membership; 15 days vacation (pro-rated for Permanent Part-Time); and a cost-shared benefits package (after completion of the probationary period) which includes:
• Health Care, Drug Plan, Dental, Vision, EAP
• Extended Health Care
• Life Insurance
• YMCA Canada Pension Plan (eligible after two years of continuous service for Permanent Part-Time)
• Ensure that all areas are clean and tidy.
• Clean change rooms, showers, bathrooms, and fitness program areas, hallways etc. (Includes cleaning fitness equipment)
• Ensure high-touch/common surface areas are disinfected according to the Y’s COVID-19 Safety Plan procedures.
• Wet/dry mop floors as required (for spills, etc.), sweeping, and cleaning windows.
• Refill all dispensers (soap, paper towel etc.) and stock supplies as required.
• Follow all Health and Safety policies and procedures.
• Attend staff meetings, planning sessions and training events as required.
• Other related duties as directed/required.
• Minimum of 1-3 months cleaning/janitorial experience and some knowledge of cleaning products is preferred (*Note: we are willing to train).
• Good attention to detail and a focus on customer service.
• Ability to be self-directed and work with minimal supervision.
• Current Standard First Aid and CPR C certification required (can be obtained within one month of start date).
• A clean Police/RCMP Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening required (prior to start date – not required at the application stage).
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume (or a YMCA-YWCA Application Form) to:
YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island
1. Application Deadline: This posting will close when suitable candidates have been found.
2. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this position.
3. Applications will be short-listed for interviews as they are received.
4. We thank all applicants, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
5. Scheduled interviews will meet physical distancing requirements and could include a virtual, telephone, or in-person interview.
The YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island is an equal opportunity employer.