Summer Team Leaders, and Resource Staff*
• Team Leader (3 positions)
• Waterfront Resource Team Leader (1 position)
Location: YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island Outdoor Centre/Camp Thunderbird (Sooke, BC)
Vacancies: 4 Classification: Casual
Placement: June 2021 until end of August.
Starting Wage Rate: $16.00 to $17.00 per hour
*NOTE: These positions are dependent on government funding, BC Provincial Health Orders and Guidelines (related to the COVID–19 pandemic) and sufficient registration levels.
Nature and Scope:
Team Leaders (TLs) and Resource Staff are leaders and role models in the camp community, and support our front-line program staff, in the delivery of quality outdoor education and summer camp programs. They love working with children and are committed to providing quality camping experiences for children and youth, while demonstrating the Y’s core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility, as well as a dedication to inclusiveness. Camp Thunderbird staff build healthy communities by leading and sharing outdoor and wilderness experiences with children ages 5 through 17. Our 1200 acres of wilderness and commitment to camping excellence ensure that children leave with increased confidence and self-esteem, new skills, and a deeper appreciation of the importance of the natural environment. Camp Thunderbird offers canoeing, rock climbing, kayaking, archery, orienteering, ropes courses, swimming, mass games, campfires and drama games.
These positions provide a range of support from direct program instruction to guidance and mentorship of counselling staff members. All staff participate in daily cleaning, maintenance, and janitorial duties. There casual/seasonal positions are entitled to an individual YMCA-YWCA membership and 4% vacation pay.
- Supervise counselling staff, maintain and develop systems for organizing camp programs and logistics, develop new programming.
- Responsible for a section of campers, up to 60-80 campers per session.
- Support campers and their families by communicating with parents as required.
- Perform administrative and organizational tasks related to their section.
- Contributes to day-to-day camp operations such as support of dining hall logistics (when in service) and/or meal supervision, group leadership, and other duties as required.
- Supervise specific program support areas.
- Contribute to day-to-day camp operations such as support of dining hall logistics (when in service) and/or meal supervision, group leadership, and other duties as required. • Performs administrative and organizational tasks related to their function.
• Waterfront Resource Team Leader:
o Supervise and support the waterfront swimming program, including lifeguarding (NLS required)
o Coordinate, plan and organize camp-wide resources and events such as all-camp days, special events and campfires.
o Provides support to section team leaders as required.
Baseline Qualifications Required for All Positions:
• Clear Police/RCMP Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening
• Education: Enrollment or completion of post-secondary education in a related field is an asset.
• Successful applicants will have several years of day or overnight camping experience.
• Current Standard First Aid with CPR C or higher
• Current Bronze Cross required; current National Lifeguard (NL) certification is valued (those with NLS will earn a $4.60/day more than those with equivalent experience but without NL).
• Commitment to the Organization’s Vision and Values
• Planning and Organization
• Quality Focus
• Commitment to Health and Safety
To Apply: Please send an application form, cover letter, and resume, identifying the specific position(s) you are applying for, to:
YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island
1. Application Deadline: This posting will close when suitable candidates have been found.
2. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this position.
3. We thank all applicants, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island is an equal opportunity employer.