Lead Sea Kayak Guide
Location: YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island Outdoor Centre/Camp Thunderbird (Sooke, BC)
Vacancies: 2 Classification: Casual
Placement: June to August (Trip length can vary from 3 nights to 10 nights. Specific trip dates and contract length to be determined).
Wage Rate: $200 – $300 per day
*NOTE: These positions are dependent on government funding, BC Provincial Health Orders and Guidelines (related to the COVID–19 pandemic) and sufficient registration levels.
Nature and Scope:
Camp Thunderbird offers guided trips (sea kayaking and hiking) on and around Vancouver Island, for children and youth. Staff hired as Sea Kayak Guides will work with Counselling staff to ensure that these experiences are safe, fun and help the participants increase their skills and confidence in being outdoors. These positions require technically skilled people who value the opportunity to work collaboratively with other staff in delivering a well-rounded program. The Sea Kayak Guides must love working with children and be able to demonstrate that they are committed to both providing quality camping experiences for children and youth, and adhering to the Y’s core values of caring, honesty, respect, responsibility, and a commitment to inclusiveness.
Successful applicants will be energetic, motivated, organized, and capable of creating a positive sense of belonging for all participants. Guides will be accommodated on-site during our program season in shared rustic accommodation (as appropriate/required).
This casual/seasonal position is entitled to an individual YMCA-YWCA membership and 4% vacation pay.
- Ensure the safety of all participants, staff, and volunteers when on trips
- Enthusiastically assist in the leadership of campers in all activities, as well as helping to meet the individual and group needs of children in their care, 24 hours a day
- Adhere to relevant standards in program and service delivery (YMCA Camping, BCCA Accreditation, SKGABC, OCC, etc.)
- Promote, incorporate and role model the YMCA-YWCA core values in all program activities
- Provide participants with challenges, supporting their development of new skills; adjust programs and make changes as required
- Support an increase in environmental awareness and appreciation by youth
- Demonstrate, promote and role model exceptional interpersonal skills, and a love of working with children and youth
- Assist with other camp/trip related duties as required
- Current Sea Kayak Guides Alliance of BC (SKGABC) Level 2 or 3 certification, or equivalent, required
- Must hold current First Aid as per requirements of their SKGABC certification (i.e., Advanced Wilderness First Aid) and CPR-C.
- Experience working with children in an over-night or day camp, educational or recreational setting preferred
- Completed High School with post-secondary education/courses an asset
- A clean Police/RCMP Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening is required
- Commitment to Organization Vision and Values
- Commitment to Health and Safety
- Creativity and Innovation
To Apply: Please send an application form, cover letter, and resume, identifying the specific position you are applying for, to:
YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island
1. Application Deadline: This posting will close when suitable candidates have been found.
2. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this position.
3. We thank all applicants, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island is an equal opportunity employer.