Camp Thunderbird Counsellors
- Counsellor (11 positions)
- One-on-One Support Counsellor (6 positions)
- Leadership Development Counsellor (3 positions)
Location: YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island Outdoor Centre/Camp Thunderbird (Sooke, BC)
Placement: June 2021 until end of August
Starting wage: $15.20 to $16.87 per hour (Commensurate with certifications and experience.)
*NOTE: These positions are dependent on government funding, BC Provincial Health Orders and Guidelines (related to the COVID–19 pandemic) and sufficient registration levels.
Nature and Scope:
Our Camp Counsellors love working with children and are committed to providing quality camping experiences for children and youth, while demonstrating the Y’s core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility, as well as a dedication to inclusiveness. Camp Thunderbird staff build healthy communities by leading and sharing outdoor and wilderness experiences with children ages 5 through 17. Our 1200 acres of wilderness and commitment to camping excellence ensure that children leave with increased confidence and self-esteem, new skills, and a deeper appreciation of the importance of the natural environment. Camp Thunderbird offers canoeing, rock climbing, kayaking, archery, orienteering, ropes courses, swimming, mass games, campfires and drama games.
Successful applicants will be energetic, motivated, organized, and capable of creating a positive sense of belonging for all participants. Counsellors will be required to live on-site during our program season in rustic accommodation, when they are assigned to overnight camper groups. Counsellors share accommodation and eat all meals with campers who sleep at camp. When assigned to a day camp group, it is preferred that staff can start and end their workday in downtown Victoria.
This casual/seasonal position is entitled to an individual YMCA-YWCA membership and 4% vacation pay.
- Enthusiastically lead campers in all activities and provide for the individual and group needs of children in their care (all day for Day Camp Counsellors; up to 24 hours/day in the case of Overnight Camp Counsellors)
- Adhere to YMCA Camping and BCCA accreditation standards in program and service delivery
- Promote, incorporate and role model the YMCA-YWCA core values in all program activities
- Organize and instruct group activities and games, create lesson plans, participate in program delivery and campfires; adjust programs and make changes as required
- Ensure the safety of all participants
- Demonstrate, promote and role model exceptional interpersonal skills, and a love of working with children and youth
- Assist with other camp related duties, which could include the maintenance of site and equipment, kitchen duties (when in service), cleaning and janitorial work
o All staff participate in daily cleaning, maintenance, and janitorial duties.
Baseline Qualifications Required for All Positions:
- Clear Police/RCMP Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening
- Successful applicants will have day or overnight camping experience
- Current Standard First Aid with CPR C or higher
- Current Bronze Cross required; current National Lifeguard (NL) certification is valued (those with NL will earn $4.60/day more than those with equivalent experience but without NL)
Counsellors and One-on-One Support Counsellors:
- Experience working with children in a day camp, childcare, educational or recreational setting
- Completed High School with post-secondary education/courses an asset
- Current Wilderness First Aid an asset
- Hiking, Canoeing, Kayaking, Rock Climbing certifications an asset
- One-on-One Support Counsellors also typically work in the Counsellor role for periods of the season
Leadership Development Counsellors:
- Extensive experience working with children in wilderness environment required
- Completed High School required, with post-secondary education/courses an asset
- Current SKGABC Assistant Overnight Guide Certification required
- Current 40-hour Wilderness First Aid (with CPR C) required
- Commitment to Organization Vision and Values
- Commitment to Health and Safety
- Creativity and Innovation
To Apply: Please send an application form, cover letter and resume, identifying the specific position(s) you are applying for, to:
YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island
1. Application Deadline: This posting will close when suitable candidates have been found.
2. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this position.
3. We thank all applicants, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island is an equal opportunity employer.