Camp Thunderbird Counsellor
* Leadership Development Counsellor (1 positions)
Positions are dependent on government summer job funding, COVID – 19 realities and registration
Location: YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island Outdoor Centre/Camp Thunderbird (Sooke, BC)
Position: Casual (seasonal)
Placement: June to August 2021
Wage: $15.20 to $16.87 per hour [Commensurate with certifications and experience. Staff with current National Lifeguard (NL) certification earn a higher wage]
Nature and Scope:
Our Camp Counsellors love working with children and are committed to providing quality camping experiences for children and youth, while demonstrating the Y’s core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility. Camp Thunderbird staff build healthy communities by leading and sharing outdoor and wilderness experiences with children ages 5 through 17. Our 1200 acres of wilderness and commitment to camping excellence ensure that children leave with increased confidence and self-esteem, new skills, and a deeper appreciation of the importance of the natural environment. Camp Thunderbird offers canoeing, rock climbing, kayaking, archery, orienteering, ropes courses, swimming, mass games, camp fires and drama games.
The Counsellor role involves providing leadership to a specific section, as well as camp-wide groups of children and youth. The ideal candidate will have skills and experience working with children, ideally in comparable programs. These staff also support the food services, maintenance, and janitorial functions and are willing to help out as needed to ensure that the Camp Thunderbird site is ready and able to accommodate all users.
Successful applicants will be energetic, motivated, organized, and capable of creating a positive sense of belonging for all participants. Counsellors will live on-site during our program season in rustic accommodation. To ensure quality care, counsellors share accommodation and eat all meals with campers who sleep at camp.
This casual/seasonal position is entitled to an individual YMCA-YWCA membership and 4% vacation pay.
• Enthusiastically lead campers in all activities and provide for the individual and group needs of children in their care, 24 hours a day
• Adhere to YMCA Camping and BCCA accreditation standards in program and service delivery
• Promote, incorporate and role model the YMCA-YWCA core values in all program activities
• Deliver outdoor education programs which provide participants with challenges, develop new skills, and increase environmental awareness and appreciation
• Organize and instruct group activities and games, create lesson plans, participate in program delivery and campfires; adjust programs and make changes as required
• Ensure the safety of all participants
• Demonstrate, promote and role model exceptional interpersonal skills, and a love of working with children and youth
• Assist with other camp related duties, which could include the maintenance of site and equipment, kitchen duties, cleaning and janitorial work
Qualifications for Leadership Development Counsellors:
• Extensive experience working with children in wilderness environment required
• Completed High School with post-secondary education/courses an asset
• A clean Police/RCMP Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening is required
• Current SKGABC Assistant Overnight Guide Certification required
• Current 40 hour Wilderness First Aid (with CPR C) required
• High Ropes certification an asset
• Commitment to Organization Vision and Values
• Commitment to Health and Safety
• Creativity and Innovation
• Team Work
To Apply: Please send an application form, cover letter and resume, identifying the specific position(s) you are applying for, to:
YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island
1. Application Deadline: This posting will close when suitable candidates have been found.
2. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this position.
3. We thank all applicants, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island is an equal opportunity employer.