The Sooke Region Chamber of Commerce is hiring a summer student starting early June. This position is for 35 hours per week for an 8-week project. The pay is $14.60 an hour.
Job Description: We are looking for someone to research and update and retarget an existing booklet (The 2015 Relocation Package needs to become Sooke: Open for Business booklet) on the Sooke Region Chamber, along with additional writing as required. Update the Relocation to Sooke booklet and retarget its use as a Sooke: Open for Business booklet, which will include the following:
- Review Existing booklet
- Research and update existing booklet
- Review the Grant Application that contains the vision of the revised booklet
- Add new information as required
- Write, edit, and prepare the book to be print-ready
- Work needs to be performed on a computer equipped with MS Office or Open Office
- Take photos to be included in the booklet
- Work under the supervision of the Executive Director
Skills: We seek someone with strong writing skills, an attention to detail, and the ability to edit. It will be a remote position (working from home) so you will require your own computer and software (Word or Open Office). You will also be asked to do some local photography.
- You must be aged between 15 and 30 and be legally entitled to work in Canada. International students are not eligible.
- Must be self motivated
- Good communication skills and follows direction well
Preference will be given to Sooke residents, as the job will entail taking local photos and in person meetings as permitted by the provincial health officer with proper social distancing. Also, an understanding and familiarity of the Sooke environment will help fulfil the job requirements.
To Apply: If this is something you are interested in, please send your resume and a short example of your writing (no more than one page, it can be from a school assignment or anything you are proud to share). The office is open on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays from 8am to noon, and other times by appointment. Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, before noon on May 28th.
Work Environment: This is a remote job posting. You will be expected to work 35 hours a week from home. A weekly report will need to be provided, tracking your time and the work accomplished. The Chamber will provide an orientation which will include a copy of bylaws and operations manual, the booklet, and regular in-person check-ins using Zoom.