Early Childhood Support Worker
Westhills YMCA-YWCA (Langford, BC)
Position: Contract/Term Position
Vacancies: 1 Hours: 26 hours per week (4 days per week – flexibility is required)
Wage: $20.30 per hour (Early Childhood Educator) and $18.50 per hour (Early Childhood Educator Assistant)
Placement: Immediate Term/Contract
End date: Approximately August 2019
Nature and Scope:
Reporting to the Child Care Supervisor, the Early Childhood Support Worker will work directly within the early childhood program, providing high quality care and creative programming for children in a group setting. Working in collaboration with the childcare team and in partnership with Supported Child Development and the child’s family, the Early Childhood Support Worker plans and leads a program that is consistent with the YMCA Playing to Learn curriculum. The Early Childhood Support Worker works directly within the program at all times; a dedication to the inclusion model of integration is required. This role is classified as a Contract/Term position and is dependent on external funding.
This position is entitled to an individual YMCA-YWCA membership.
To read, understand and follow all YMCA-YWCA policies and procedures related to the guidance and care of children
To assist with the planning and implementing of a consistent child-centered program in accordance with YMCA-YWCA and CCFL standards, including YMCA Playing to Learn curriculum standards
To interact directly with the children, facilitating a healthy learning environment and adapting activities (as needed) to ensure maximum participation and engagement
To establish and maintain positive daily communication and interaction with families, providing quality customer service and building meaningful relationships within the community
To ensure that all safety and supervision standards are implemented and maintained according to licensing and YMCA-YWCA requirements
To maintain confidentiality of all information related to the centre, the children, their families, and staff
To work effectively and as an active member of the staff team, assisting with other duties and responsibilities as required
To attend YMCA Playing to Learn professional development sessions and other trainings as required
To maintain a neat, orderly, and clean environment, including all activity areas and washrooms
To release children only to those authorized by parent/guardian
- Early Childhood Educator or Early Childhood Educator Assistant BC License to Practice required
- Special Needs Educator Certificate is an asset
- Infant/Toddler Educator Certificate or additional courses/training related to child growth and development are assets
- Prior experience working with children who require additional support to meet their physical and/or developmental needs is an asset
- Experience working with children in a child care/recreational setting
- Strong written, verbal and communication skills
- High level of organization and customer service skills
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR C required
- Clean Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Clearance (both a Police/RCMP and Ministry Criminal Record Check required)
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to:
YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island
1. Application Deadline: This posting will close when a suitable candidate has been found.
2. Internal applicants are expected to inform their supervisor prior to application.
3. Shortlisting will take place as applications are received.
4. We thank all applicants, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island is an equal opportunity employer.