West Shore Parks and Recreation Society is looking for a positive and flexible Arena Worker who is willing to work in the JDF arena in various roles; Skate Shop/Patrol/Instructor. Under the direction of the Arena Programmer, the skating instructor plans, develops, implements and teaches instructional training and lesson plans. Instructors are required to teach from beginners to immediate skill levels with a variety of age groups. Skate patrol ensures the safety of all participants on ice. Skate shop attendant assists with all skate shop related duties like admissions and rentals.
· Teaches, instructs and implements ice skating programs.
· Ensures progress cards are completed.
· Discusses issues and concerns with parents regarding classes and programs. Refers sensitive issues to the Skating Program Assistant or Arena Programmer.
· Ensures facility policies, procedures and regulations are implemented ensuring the ice complex area is safe.
Ensures proper documentation is completed for accidents and incidents.
Performs other duties as required.
· Inter-municipal Learn to Skate Instructors Training and NCCP coaching level 1 in a related discipline (Hockey, skating, ringette, speed skating, or Canfit instructing experience are required).
· Experience in providing skating instruction, guidance and encouragement and ability to foster an environment encouraging participation.
· Experience with planning and lesson plan creation.
· Communication and organizational skills.
· Proven experience in public relations and in dealing with situations in a positive, courteous and effective manner.
· Demonstrated ability to work co-operatively in a team environment as well as to work independently.
· Current Emergency First Aid and CPR C are required.
· Applicants without the formal educational/technical skills required for this position may be appointed at the Program Instructor II rate.
· A clear and current criminal record check is a condition of employment, and is the financial responsibility of the successful candidate.