Team Leader – Fitness
Westhills YMCA-YWCA (Langford, BC)
Position: Permanent Full Time
Placement: Early January
Salary: Starting $32,705.40/year, increase to $34,580.00/year after 6 month probationary period.
Schedule: Sunday – Thursday (flexibility is required – may be required to work early morning, afternoon, evening and weekend shifts); 35 hours per week.
Nature and Scope:
The Team Leader – Fitness, is a dynamic leader who ensures that professional standards are demonstrated and applied in all related YMCA-YWCA classes, programs and services. Emphasis is placed on the ability to effectively support and deliver high quality group and individual fitness programming.
The successful candidate will be highly motivated, organized, resourceful and capable of maintaining a positive, caring, service-oriented environment.
Reporting to the Program Coordinator – Fitness, this person will work as a member of the Health, Fitness and Aquatics staff team. A willingness to work a flexible schedule is required as shifts may vary and will include evenings and weekends.
This permanent full-time position is entitled to a YMCA-YWCA individual membership; 15 days vacation; and a cost-shared benefits package (after completion of the probationary period) which includes:
- Medical (MSP coverage; eligible after one month)
- Health Care, Drug Plan, Dental, Vision, EAP
- Extended Health Care
- Life Insurance
- YMCA Canada Pension Plan (eligible after one year)
- Assist the Program Coordinator – Fitness to organize, schedule and supervise the operation of Fitness Orientations, Personal Coaching Sessions and Group Fitness classes
- Deliver Fitness Orientations, Personal Coaching Sessions and teach group fitness classes
- Ensure staff and volunteers maintain required up-to-date certification, facilitate and recommend professional development workshops and facilitate in-service training programs
- Adhere to the Association program plan and YMCA SAM Standards in program and service delivery
- Provide on-going supervision of the program area ensuring proper behaviour, correct use of facility and that members are aware of and adhere to YMCA-YWCA policies and the Member Code of Conduct
- Participate in annual campaign events and fundraising initiatives
- Educate members and the public regarding safe exercise habits and ensure all safety and proper exercise procedures are followed
- Take an active role in the recruitment, training and development of volunteer instructors
- Serve as the Duty Manager for the branch as required
- University Degree or College Diploma in a related field
- YMCA Individual Conditioning II and YMCA Group Fitness Certification (or equivalent) in a minimum of 2 specialty areas.
o Those only having 1 of the above will be required to obtain the other (training provided)
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR C required
- A clear Police/RCMP Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening required
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong computer skills (Word, Excel, Outlook); registration software is an asset
- Minimum 2 years of health and fitness program related experience; experience supervising staff and volunteers
- Commitment to Organization Vision and Values
- Commitment to Health and Safety
- Conflict Resolution
- Coaching and Development
- Service Attitude/Customer Focus
- Relationship Building
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to:
YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island
1. Application Deadline: December 31, 2018 at 4:00pm
2. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this position.
3. Internal applicants are expected to inform their supervisor prior to application.
4. We thank all applicants, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island is an equal opportunity employer.