Reporting to the Chief Operating Engineer, the Building Services Worker will work on the Maintenance staff team, and assist in the completion of on-going maintenance and repair work to the equipment, property, and facility (interior and exterior work) with an emphasis on ensuring the safety of our members, participants and fellow staff members. The successful applicant will have the flexibility to work early mornings, evenings, weekends and statutory holidays as required.
This is a Permanent Full-Time position, and the incumbent will be eligible for an attractive benefits package after completion of the probationary period. This includes 3 weeks paid vacation, a facility pass, as well as an attractive group benefits plan:
• Medical (MSP coverage after one month)
• Healthcare, Drug Plan, Dental, Vision, Employee Assistance Plan
• Extended Health Care
• Life Insurance
• YMCA Canada Pension Plan (after one year)
• Maintenance tasks will include painting, grouting, pool cleaning, repair and cleaning of program-related equipment and general handyman work requests, and similar responsibilities as assigned.
• Routine swimming pool water and systems check, building systems checks and maintenance
• Grounds maintenance including garbage collection, general parking lot maintenance, cutting grass, raking leaves, shoveling snow, clearing ice
• Demonstrates a commitment to safe work practices – role models safe work procedures, always follows proper safety procedures and uses appropriate safety equipment.
• Assists in keeping the workshops and related storerooms clean, tidy, and safe.
• Communicates with other staff, members, and the public in a professional manner, providing excellent customer service.
• Reports any equipment repair needs or safety issues to appropriate person in a timely manner.
• Heavy lifting is required.
• Must maintain regular attendance and punctuality, and to be appropriately dressed and well groomed.
• Models appropriate behaviours in line with the Y’s Mission, Vision and Values.
• Minimum of 1-2 years’ work experience in a related position (trades) is required.
• High school graduation is preferred; technical training in related skills is an asset.
• Must be competent in the proper and safe use of lawn mowers, leaf blowers, sanders, skill saws, drills, grinders, and similar power tools.
• Experience in pool operation an asset; Pool Operator Certificate 1 & 2 preferred (certification must be obtained within first 6 months).
• Mechanical inclination is required.
• Building repair and maintenance experience is preferred.
• Basic computer skills (Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.) are required
• Capable of working with building and maintenance related computer software program (training provided).
• Class 5 Driver’s license is preferred.
• Standard First Aid and CPR certification and WHMIS training is required.
• A clear criminal record check with Vulnerable Sector Screening is required.
In addition to bringing a commitment to YMCA-YWCA vision and values, and an orientation to service, the candidate should possess the following competencies:
• Concern for Health and Safety
• Problem Solving
• Team Work
• Public Relations