Light Duty Cleaners / Custodians
Downtown Victoria YMCA-YWCA
Positions: Casual, Permanent Part-Time, Permanent Full-Time
Wage Rate: $15.55 per hour
Hours: 1. Casual = up to 19.5 hours per week
2. Permanent Part-Time = 20-34 hours per week
3. Permanent Full-Time = 35 hours per week
Applicants are asked to include their work availability in their application.
Nature and Scope:
We want YOU to join our team of enthusiastic Y staff! Join our team and work within a positive, welcoming, and safe environment at the Downtown Victoria YMCA-YWCA! Working in coordination with the rest of the staff team and reporting to the Custodial Supervisor, Light Duty Cleaners will provide excellent cleaning services throughout the Downtown Y facility. The primary responsibilities of this position are to clean the fitness facility, including change rooms and washrooms, exercise areas and equipment, and public areas at the Downtown YMCA-YWCA. Considerable attention to detail is required.
Casual positions are entitled to a free individual YMCA-YWCA membership.
Permanent positions are entitled to a YMCA-YWCA individual membership; 15 days vacation (pro-rated for Permanent Part-Time); and a cost-shared benefits package (after completion of the probationary period) which includes:
- Medical (MSP coverage; eligible after one month)
- Health Care, Drug Plan, Dental, Vision, EAP
- Extended Health Care
- Life Insurance
- YMCA Canada Pension Plan (eligible after one year for Permanent Full-Time, eligible after two years of continuous service for Permanent Part-Time)
- Ensure that all areas are clean and well organized.
- Clean change rooms, bathrooms, and fitness program areas.
- Remove garbage and recycling as required.
- Wet/dry mop floors as required (for spills, etc.).
- Refill all dispensers (soap, paper towel etc.) and stock supplies as required.
- Follow all Health and Safety policies and procedures.
- Provide room set up and take down as required (folding tables, chairs).
- Attend staff meetings, planning sessions and training events as required.
- Minimum of 1-3 months cleaning/janitorial experience and some knowledge of cleaning products is preferred (*Note: we are willing to train).
- Good attention to detail and a focus on customer service.
- Ability to be self-directed and work with minimal supervision.
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR C certification required (can be obtained within one month of start date).
- A clean Police/RCMP Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening required (prior to start date – not required at the application stage).
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume (or a YMCA-YWCA Application Form) to:
YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island
1. Application Deadline: This posting will close when suitable candidates have been found.
2. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this position.
3. Applications will be short-listed for interviews as they are received.
4. Internal applicants are expected to inform their supervisor prior to application
5. We thank all applicants, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island is an equal opportunity employer.