Downtown Victoria YMCA-YWCA
Position: Permanent Full-Time, Permanent Part-Time, and Casual positions available.
Wage Rate: $15.55 per hour
Hours: 35 hours per week (PFT); 20-34 hours per week (PPT); under 20 hours per week (casual)
Applicants must be available to work early morning, afternoon, evening/closing, and weekend shifts, and must have a flexible schedule to work additional statutory holiday shifts as required.
Nature and Scope:
Reporting to the Custodial Supervisor, the Janitor/Custodian will maintain excellent cleaning standards throughout the Downtown Y facility, as well as provide related customer service to members and the public. This position is responsible for providing a clean and safe facility for all members, participants and employees. The primary responsibilities of this position are to clean the fitness facility, including change rooms and washrooms, exercise areas and equipment, office spaces, and public areas at the Downtown YMCA-YWCA. A high standard of housekeeping services, with considerable attention to detail, is required. The successful candidate for this position must be available to work a variety of shifts.
Casual positions are entitled to a YMCA-YWCA individual membership.
Permanent positions are entitled to a YMCA-YWCA individual membership; 15 days vacation (prorated for PPT); and a cost-shared benefits package (after completion of the probationary period) which includes:
- Medical (MSP coverage; eligible after one month)
- Health Care, Drug Plan, Dental, Vision, EAP
- Extended Health Care
- Life Insurance
- YMCA Canada Pension Plan (eligible after one year for PFT, eligible after 2 years for PPT)
- Ensure that all areas are clean, safe and well organized.
- Clean and disinfect change rooms, bathrooms, offices.
- Clean windows, doors, mirrors, ledges, and drinking fountains.
- Remove garbage and recycling as required.
- Wet/dry mop floors as required.
- Refill all dispensers (soap, paper towel etc.) and stock supplies as required.
- Report all shortages and/or requirements in maintenance materials, cleaning and janitorial supplies, tools and equipment.
- Follow all Health and Safety policies and procedures.
- Assist other departments within the facility as requested.
- Provide room set up and take down as required.
- Report any significant facility/equipment repair, replacement or cleaning requirements to supervisor.
- Attend staff meetings, planning sessions and training events as required.
- Minimum of 1-3 months cleaning/janitorial experience and some knowledge of cleaning products.
- Good attention to detail and focus on customer service.
- Ability to be self-directed and work with minimal supervision.
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR C certification is required
- A clean Police/RCMP Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening required
- Commitment to Organization Vision and Values
- Concern for Health and Safety
- Service Orientation
- Conflict Resolution
- Problem Solving
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume, stating your interest in either the Permanent Full-Time, Permanent Part-Time, or Casual position.
1. Application Deadline: This posting will close when a suitable candidate has been found.
2. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this position.
3. Applications will be short-listed for interviews as they are received.
4. Internal applicants are expected to inform their supervisor prior to application.
5. We thank all applicants, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island is an equal opportunity employer.