Early Childhood Educator (or Early Childhood Educator Assistant) – Float Position
Position: Permanent Full-Time
Wage: ECEA: $18.50/hour
*Includes the $2/hour for qualified candidates as per the MCFD’s ECE Wage Enhancement Program (must meet program eligibility criteria).
Hours: 35-40 hours per week; Monday to Friday.
Nature and Scope:
Reporting to the Childcare Supervisor, the Early Childhood Educator / Early Childhood Educator Assistant Float staff will work directly within the early childhood programs, providing high quality care and creative programming for children in a group setting. This position requires flexibility and the ability to move between programs as needed. The successful applicant will provide coverage for staff who are absent from the workplace on vacation, sick/medical, or other leaves. It is expected that the time worked at each of the two centres will be roughly equal.
Working in collaboration with the child care team, the Float is responsible for delivering play-based curriculum to children from 18 months to 5 years of age, ensuring that children are well-supervised and provided with developmentally appropriate and fun programming options. A priority will be maintaining excellent communication with families and other stakeholders.
In addition to the hourly wage, this permanent full-time position is entitled to a YMCA-YWCA individual membership; 15 days vacation; and a cost-shared benefits package (after completion of the probationary period) which includes:
• Health Care, Drug Plan, Dental, Vision, EAP
• Extended Health Care
• Life Insurance
• YMCA Canada Pension Plan (eligible after one year)
Other benefits are outlined in the Y’s Personnel Policies.
• To read, understand and follow all YMCA-YWCA policies and procedures related to the guidance and care of children.
• To assist with the planning and implementation of a consistent child-centered program in accordance with YMCA-YWCA and CCFL standards, including play-based curriculum.
• To interact directly with the children, facilitating a healthy learning environment.
• To establish and maintain positive daily communication and interaction with families, providing quality customer service and building meaningful relationships within the community.
• To ensure that all safety and supervision standards are implemented and maintained according to YMCA-YWCA and licensing requirements.
• To maintain confidentiality of all information related to the centre, the children, their families, and staff.
• To work effectively and as an active member of the staff teams, assisting with other duties and responsibilities as required.
• To attend all professional development sessions and other training as required.
• To maintain a neat, orderly, and clean environment, including all activity areas and washrooms.
• To release children only to those authorized by parent/guardian.
• Current Early Childhood Educator or Early Childhood Educator Assistant License to Practice in BC required
• Infant Toddler/Special Needs Educator Certificate, or additional courses/training related to child growth and development are an asset.
• Experience working with children in a child care/recreation setting.
• Strong written and verbal and communication skills
• High level of organization and customer service skills
• Current First Aid and CPR certification required (Standard First Aid with CPR-C must be completed within the first month of employment)
• A clear Ministry of Justice Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening required
• A clear Police/RCMP Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening required*
*Note: Cost reimbursed after successful completion of the probationary period.
• Must have full access to reliable transportation or a Transit pass.
YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island
1. Application Deadline: This posting will close when a suitable candidate has been found.
2. Internal applicants are expected to inform their supervisor prior to application.
3. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this position.
4. Short-listing will take place as applications are received.
5. We thank all applicants, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island is an equal opportunity employer.