Downtown Victoria YMCA-YWCA
Position: Permanent Full-Time
Placement: August/September 2017
Hours: 35 hours per week
Nature and Scope:
Reporting to the General Manager of Building Services, the Custodial Supervisor will ensure that excellent cleaning standards are maintained throughout the Downtown facility, as well as providing related customer service to members, participants, and the public.
The primary responsibility of this position is to give leadership to the custodial staff of the Downtown YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island; this includes both supervisory and a hands-on service delivery functions. A portion of the Custodial Supervisor’s time is dedicated to directly providing cleaning services. The job requires ensuring that a high standard of cleaning services is provided to our members and staff. This will involve leading by example, as well as providing support and leadership to the custodial and housekeeping staff team.
This permanent full-time position is entitled to a YMCA-YWCA individual membership; 22 days vacation; and a cost-shared benefits package (after completion of the probationary period) which includes:
- Medical (MSP coverage; eligible after one month)
- Health Care, Drug Plan, Dental, Vision, EAP
- Extended Health Care
- Life Insurance
- YMCA Canada Pension Plan (eligible after one year)
- In consultation with the Manager, assist with the recruitment and selection of staff, as well as the development and delivery of staff training
- Work directly with the Custodial and Housekeeping staff to clean the facility, ensuring a high standard of both cleanliness and customer service
- Provide leadership, serve as a role model, and supervise staff and volunteers
- Develop and maintain staffing schedules that balance the needs of the facility and budgetary guidelines
- Ensure staff compliance with all Health and Safety policies and procedures; check for health and safety hazards at all times
- Act as liaison to contracted night time cleaning company
- Support and assist other departments within the facility as required
- Control inventory of related supplies and materials
- Report any significant facility/equipment repair, replacement or cleaning requirements to supervisor
- Other related responsibilities as assigned
- Demonstrated knowledge of modern janitorial practices
- Strong leadership skills
- A minimum of one year in a supervisory position
- Education: minimum Grade 12 High School diploma or equivalent; post-secondary education in a related field is preferred
- Relevant training certificates (e.g. Building Services Worker) or ability to obtain are an asset
- Fine attention to detail and a focus on customer service
- Ability to be self-directing and work with minimal supervision.
- Current Standard First Aid, CPR C Certification and WHMIS certification
- A clear Police/RCMP Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening required
- Commitment to Organization Vision and Values
- Coaching and Development
- Self Management
- Service Orientation
- Product Knowledge
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to:
YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island
1. Application: This posting will close when a suitable candidate has been found.
2. Applications will be short-listed for interviews as they are received.
3. Internal applicants are expected to inform their supervisor prior to application.
4. We thank all applicants, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island is an equal opportunity employer.