Downtown Victoria YMCA-YWCA
Position: Permanent Full-Time
Placement: October 2017
Hours: 40 hours per week
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Nature and Scope:
Reporting to the General Manager, the Childcare Supervisor is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Childcare Centre and provides leadership consistent with the philosophy of YMCA-YWCA Childcare. The Childcare Supervisor role models best practices and works in-ratio on a daily basis as well as performing scheduled administrative tasks. This is a challenging and progressive work environment which will provide interesting and satisfying employment for those who seek to make a positive contribution to a community-based growth-oriented organization.
This permanent full-time position is entitled to a YMCA-YWCA individual membership; 22 days vacation; and a cost-shared benefits package (after completion of the probationary period) which includes:
- Medical (MSP coverage; eligible after one month)
- Health Care, Drug Plan, Dental, Vision, EAP
- Extended Health Care
- Life Insurance
- YMCA Canada Pension Plan (eligible after one year)
- To direct and assist with the planning and implementation of a consistent child-centered program in accordance with YMCA-YWCA and CCFL standards, including YMCA Playing to Learn curriculum standards
- To provide solid leadership and coaching to a diverse staff team
- To interact directly with the children, facilitating a healthy learning environment
- To establish and maintain positive daily communication and interaction with families, providing quality customer service and building meaningful relationships within the community
- To ensure that all safety and supervision standards are implemented and maintained according to YMCA-YWCA and licensing requirements
- To maintain confidentiality of all information related to the centre, the children, their families, and staff
- To work effectively and as an active member of the staff team, assisting with other duties and responsibilities as required.
- To maintain a neat, orderly, and clean environment, including all activity areas and washrooms
- To release children only to those authorized by parent/guardian
- Early Childcare Educator License to Practice required
- Infant/Toddler Educator License to Practice preferred
- Special Needs License to Practice an asset
- Minimum 2 years’ supervisory experience, preferably in a charity/not-for-profit environment, solid understanding of Childcare Facility Licensing and legal requirements.
- YMCA Playing to Learn and/or similar training/certification related to child growth and development
- Demonstrated achievement in human resource management, fiscal management, and risk management
- Demonstrated achievement in working effectively with staff, children, families and the community
- Strong written and verbal and communication skills
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office). Working knowledge of a registration software (eg. CLASS) an asset
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR C required
- A clear Police/RCMP Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening required
- A clear Ministry of Justice Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening required
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to:
YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island
1. Application Deadline: This posting will close when a suitable candidate has been found.
2. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this position.
3. Applications will be short-listed as they are received.
4. Internal applicants are expected to inform their supervisor prior to application.
5. We thank all applicants, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island is an equal opportunity employer.