In accordance with the policies, procedures and standards of Golden City Restaurant, the Assistant Chef is accountable for assisting main chef to ensure that the daily operation of an assigned area runs smoothly and effectively in accordance with departmental set service standards and meeting guest expectations at all times. The Assistant Chef also supports the Executive Chef in taking full operational management accountability of the department. Please note, at the first of two years, the Executive Chef will provide full training to the potential applicants. After two years, the best candidates will be hired and promoted to main chef. The Executive Chef has more than 35 years of successful experience in Cantonese cuisine.
- To assist Executive Chef to manage the kitchen team and produce consistently high quality Chinese cuisine, Chinese Desserts, production and presentation
- Ensure a positive & professional working environment throughout the kitchens and influence culinary members through demonstrating technical skills, sharing knowledge and upholding all culinary standards.
- Train and develop junior kitchen staff to operate to the required standards as established by the restaurant, and keep appropriate documentation.
- Ensure that agreed food hygiene, licensing and safety standards are communicated, upheld or surpassed, at all times.
- Assist Executive Chef-Chinese in the planning of activities, promotions, menu implementations according to the annual plans.
- Co-ordinate and supervise menu implementations in a timely manner with necessary plating guides, recipes, food pictures and costing completed prior to implementation.
- Create and develop new dishes and recipes together with his Executive Chef-Chinese, by keeping up with the latest market trends.
- Handle customer comments and complaints and take swift corrective action to resolve issues to the customer’s
- Ensure consistent quality of all food stuffs purchased, monitoring quality at receiving point, ensuring value of purchases matching to correct food costs.
- Report accidents, injuries and unsafe work conditions to direct supervisors.
- Maintain positive relations with other staff and departments.
- Capable to perform repetitious duties.
- Perform other reasonable tasks as assigned by direct supervisors from time to time
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- 1 – 2 years working experience in a Chinese restaurant.
- Language of work: English is mandatory, Mandarin or Cantonese as asset
- Cook's certification or equivalent credentials, training and experience are preferred.
- Must be able to work indoors and be exposed to various environments such as, but not limited to noise, dust and cooking fumes.
- Follow the correct safe manual handling and lifting techniques.
- Ability to move, life, carry, push, pull and place objects by weighing less than or equal to 11 kg on frequent basis without assistance.
- Ability to move life, carry, push, pull and place objects by following the correct safe manual handling and lifting techniques with the assistance of a 4 wheel trolley.
- Ability to stand and / or walk for an extended period of time during the shift.
- Ability to work on flexible shift including overnight, weekends and holiday on rotation basis.