Aquatic Team Leader
Westhills YMCA-YWCA (Langford, BC)
Position: Permanent Full-Time
Placement: October 29, 2017
Hours: 35 hours per week; Sunday through Thursday work week.
Nature and Scope:
The Aquatic Team Leader will assist in supervising and participate in lifeguarding and instruction of aquatic swim classes and fitness programs, ensuring progressive swimming instruction in the Y aquatic system. Reporting to the Aquatic Coordinator, the Aquatic Team Leader will be responsible for the safe and effective operation of the day-to-day activities on the pool deck, the quality of aquatic programs and the maintenance and cleanliness of the aquatic facility. The successful candidate will be highly motivated, organized, resourceful and capable of maintaining a positive, caring, service-oriented environment. A willingness to work a flexible schedule is required. The 35-hour work week for this position will be Sunday to Thursday and includes at least one evening shift and the ability to work some statutory holidays and cover opening/closing shifts.
This permanent full-time position is entitled to a YMCA-YWCA individual membership; 15 days vacation; and a cost-shared benefits package (after completion of the probationary period) which includes:
Medical (MSP coverage; eligible after one month)
Health Care, Drug Plan, Dental, Vision, EAP
Extended Health Care
YMCA Canada Pension Plan (eligible after one year)
- Organizing an efficient swim program in accordance with all polices, practices and regulations
- Assist the Aquatic Coordinator with the training, coaching, and recognition of volunteers and staff
- Monitor commitment to service excellence by role modelling and maintaining YMCA SAM 2.1 standards.
- Direct delivery of programs and classes as appropriate
- Contribute as a member of the leadership team in the operation of the Centre
- Serve as the Building Supervisor/Duty Manager as required
- Provides leadership to the Strong Kids Campaign as requested
- Adhere to YMCA Child Protection Policies and Procedures
- Minimum 2 years’ relevant experience
- Experience lifeguarding and teaching swim lessons
- Experience teaching aquatic fitness is an asset
- Post-secondary education in a related field is preferred
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong computer skills; a high level of proficiency in Microsoft Office and a registration software is preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Current certification of the following certifications:
o Standard First Aid and CPR C
o National Lifeguard certification – pool or waterpark option
o YMCA Swim Instructor award (or Red Cross Water Safety Instructor)
o LS Lifesaving Instructor award
o YMCA or BCRPA Aquatic Fitness an asset and will be required
- A clear Police/RCMP Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening required
- Commitment to Organization Vision and Values
- Commitment to Health and Safety
- Conflict Resolution
- Coaching and Development
- Service Attitude/Customer Focus
- Relationship Building
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to:
YMCA-YWCA Vancouver Island
1. Application Deadline: This posting will close when a suitable candidate has been found.
2. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this position.
3. Internal applicants are expected to inform their supervisor prior to application.
4. We thank all applicants, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island is an equal opportunity employer.