Wage Range: $17.46 – $18.49 per hour
Hours: Up to 19 hours per week; current available shifts vary, including opening, daytime, evening, and/or weekends shifts.
Nature and Scope:
The Aquatic Staff team provides high quality programs and services to our members and participants, and works as a member of the Health, Fitness and Recreation program team. This includes maintaining a safe aquatic environment, educating the public regarding safe swimming habits, and providing progressive swimming instruction in the YMCA aquatic system.
Reporting to the Program Supervisor, lifeguards and swim instructors will have a demonstrated personal interest in fitness and a variety of aquatics programs. Due to the seasonal peaks in our operation, the work schedule will flex to accommodate the needs of our members and participants. The shifts may vary including weekends, evenings and early mornings. This casual position is entitled to an individual YMCA-YWCA membership.
(As relevant to the specific position with the Aquatic team)
• Provide excellent customer service to members, volunteers, and staff
• Ensure all safety and lifeguarding procedures are adhered to, and in the event of an emergency respond as trained by the Association
• Enforce all rules and regulations and maintain order in designated area as a proactive approach to ensuring safety and accident prevention
• Plan, organize and implement core lesson plans/daily lesson plans, progress reports and evaluations
• Maintain accurate, up-to-date progress sheets and records for participants
• Keep Daily Log up-to-date and accurate
• Set-up and take-down lane markers, program and other equipment as required
• Ensure that equipment is safe and in good repair (report immediately any malfunctions and remove any damaged equipment immediately)
• Maintenance and cleaning duties as required
• Assist in the supervision and leadership of assistant instructors and volunteers
• Ensure the safety of all members, participants, staff, and property by following YMCA-YWCA standards/policies/procedures and ensuring they are maintained amongst all members and staff
• Monitor commitment to service excellence by role modelling and maintaining YMCA SAM 2.1 standards Develops and maintain professional and courteous relationships with members and participants
• Contribute as a member of our staff team in the overall operation of the Downtown Y Branch, including performing other duties as assigned
• Current Lifesaving Society National Lifeguard certification required
• Current Lifesaving Society Airway Management and Oxygen Administration (AMOA) certification required
• Current YMCA Swim Instructor or Lifesaving Society Swim Instructor or Red Cross Water Safety Instructor certification required
• Current Standard First Aid and CPR C certification required
• Clear Police/RCMP Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening required
• Current Lifesaving Society Lifesaving Instructors certification a strong asset
• YMCA or BCRPA Aquafit certification a strong asset
• Commitment to Organization Vision and Values
• Commitment to Health and Safety
• Customer Service
• Problem Solving
• Planning and Organization
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and your current certifications to:
YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island
1. Application Deadline: This posting will close when suitable candidates have been found.
2. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this position.
3. We thank all applicants, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island is an equal opportunity employer.