Primary duties of Registered Nurses/Registered Psychiatric Nurses relate for the physical, psychological, emotional and spiritual care needs of the residents. They also encompass leadership of the health care team, liaison with other health care professionals, communication with resident’s families, and representation of the facility within the larger community.
1. Using the nursing process, carries out all aspects of nursing to the residents including monitoring and administration of medications and treatments, and referrals to other health care professionals.
2. Takes primary responsibility for the development, implementation and evaluation of resident care plans.
3. Prepares and maintains accurate documentation as required by CRNBC Standards of Practice and Ayre Manor Lodge Policy and Procedures.
4. Conducts MDS assessments on admission and quarterly on all residents cooperatively with other nursing staff.
5. Participates in risk management activities including incident reports and Worksafe reporting.
6. Organizes daily work routines for staff, based on established staff schedules, balancing workloads. Identifies and arranges for relief (casual) staff when the admin assistant is not present.
7. Responsible for a safe, hygienic, home-like environment for residents.
8. Ensures resident safety checks and fire safety checks are done throughout the shift.
Job Description: Registered Nurse / Registered Psychiatric Nurse Page 2
9. In the event of a fire or disaster affecting the facility, assumes responsibility for the direction and deployment of all on-duty staff to ensure the safety of all residents while considering staff safety. Coordinates with outside agencies as needed (e.g. Sooke Fire Dept., PEP, etc.)
10. Responds to emergency calls from Assisted Living in the absence of the Director of Resident Care.
1. Consults with members of the interdisciplinary team and accesses available external resources as needed.
2. Participates in Medication Review Meetings with the Pharmacist and Medical Coordinator.
3. Participates in other external/internal working groups as needed.
4. Works cooperatively with other members of the nursing team, liaises with family and physicians.
1. Functions as nursing team leader: provides clinical direction to staff to meet care requirements of residents and coordinates implementation of the care plan, Ensures completion of resident care tasks and maintains appropriate documentation.
2. Provides instruction to ancillary staff in patient care tasks and procedures.
3. Arranges and oversees orientation of new ancillary staff. Participates in the orientation of professional staff.
4. Communicates any clinical or administrative issues with the Director of Resident Care. Provides verbal or written information on staff performance. Provides supporting information for Performance Appraisals.
5. Ensures Ayre Manor Lodge standards, policies and procedures are adhered to and that all equipment and related resources (i.e. lifts, linens and incontinence products) are available, used appropriately and in good working order.
6. In the absence of the management staff, assumes responsibility for the safety and security of the building and residents of Assisted Living and Complex Care. The Nurse is in charge of all staff as well as the physical plant. In the event of a critical incident, the Manager on call will be kept informed.
7. Provides input on training needs, policies and procedures to the director of Resident Care.
1. Maintains currency in practice knowledge by performing annual self-assessment and development of a learning plan as required by CRNBC.
2. Performs other related duties.
1. Current practicing membership in the College of Registered Nurses of British Columbia or the College of Registered Psychiatric Nurses of British Columbia.
2. Experience in the field of geriatrics, experience in a Residential Care setting preferred.
3. A good working knowledge of computers with knowledge of completing electronic MDS assessments and familiar with common office programs.
4. Experience in a team leader role preferred.
5. Knowledge of Whimis, Foodsafe and Worksafe practices.
6. Basic knowledge of governing legislation and regulations.
7. Fluency in written and oral English.