Relief Staff, Y Young Moms Program Community Health
Nature and Scope:
The Y Young Moms Program, operated by the YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island, in partnership with the Kiwanis Club of Victoria, is a second stage supportive housing program offering eight independent units that provide transitional housing for young mothers between the ages of 16-29 with one child under the age of 5. This counseling and parenting program is program-based and supports young women to develop their parenting and life skills while building resilience and reducing risk. Reporting to the Program Manager, the incumbent provides a wide variety of supportive services to young mothers and their children. Services provided include: supportive individual and group counseling, parenting support, liaising with community agencies, and support with daily living activities.
The successful candidate must be available to work a variety of shifts including evenings and weekends. The standard work week will vary based on programming and staff needs. However, flexibility is required to meet the needs of our clients. This position is classified as a Casual, on-call position, up to a total of 19 hours per week based on programming, staff, and client needs.
The incumbent will be a highly motivated self-starter with the ability to work both independently and as a member of a dedicated team. The successful candidate will possess well-rounded skills including an ability to offer advocacy, individual support, assessment skills, and an ability to facilitate group programming for young families. Please note that use of a personal vehicle is required.
This casual position is entitled to an individual YMCA-YWCA membership.
- Promotes and develops youths’ independence
- Promotes and develops youths’ parenting skills through assessment and education on child development, positive parenting, and attachment-based parenting
- Facilitates groups and drop-ins
- Provides effective crisis management and conflict resolution
- Builds empowering relationships with youth
- Works in collaboration with the Program Manager to screen referrals and assist in parenting and life skills assessments during the intake process
- Supports the well-being of clients and provides solution-focused counseling
- Liaises with relevant service providers and other professionals as necessary
- Serves as a model and resource for program youth and young mothers
- Assists youth in accessing community resources, supports and services
- Completes necessary paperwork including critical incident reports delivered to program manager, as required
- Maintains accurate records in compliance with YMCA-YWCA standards
- Other duties as required
- Degree in Child & Youth Care, Social Work, Psychology or a related field
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working with multiple-barriered youth
- Ability to establish and maintain therapeutic relationships
- Demonstrated knowledge of applicable legislation and MCFD protection policy
- Experience supporting young, at-risk families preferred
- Effective and respectful communication skills, including active-listening, problem-solving, and respectful limit setting
- Ability to respect client’s rights, values and preferences including multi-cultural issues
- Demonstrated judgment, observation and client assessment skills
- Knowledge of childhood developmental stages
- Knowledge of relevant community resources and referral processes
- Demonstrated knowledge of mental health and substance use in children and youth
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as part of a team and with other professionals
- Diplomacy and tact in difficult situations
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR C required
- A clear Police/RCMP Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening required
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license
- Safe, reliable vehicle with adequate insurance coverage (a Drivers Abstract will be required)
- Commitment to Organization Vision and Values
- Problem Solving
- Planning and Organization
- Conflict Resolution
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to:
YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island
1. Application Deadline: This posting will close when a suitable candidate has been found.
2. Applications will be short-listed for interviews as they are received.
3. Internal applicants are expected to inform their supervisor prior to application.
4. We thank all applicants, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island is an equal opportunity employer.