Outdoor Education Duty Manager
YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island Outdoor Centre, Camp Thunderbird (Sooke, BC)
Position: Casual (seasonal)
Placement: April 2018
Wage Range: $103 – $108 per day (commensurate with certifications and experience)
Nature and Scope:
The Outdoor Education Duty Manager organizes and supervises Team Leaders and Instructors leading programs focused on outdoor adventure, leadership and team building, and environmental education, in addition to providing program leadership and supervision for out-trips as well as direct program delivery. Outdoor Education activities include canoeing, rock climbing, kayaking, archery, orienting high ropes courses, swimming, mass games, camp fires and drama games. Out-trips may include multi-day overnight sea kayaking, ocean or lake canoe tripping, and backpacking in wilderness areas as well as shorter overnight backpacking trips off the camp trail network. Creates a positive environment and through a commitment to camping excellence ensures that children, youth and adults leave with increased confidence, self-esteem, and new skills. Implements and practices YMCA-YWCA strategic directions, values, vision, key goals, objectives and policies; and the effective implementation and supervision of health and safety and risk management protocols.
• Provide oversight and leadership to the development, implementation and delivery of Outdoor Education programs which provide participants with challenges, build relationships and teams, offer the opportunity to develop new skills and grow mentally, emotionally and physically, and increase environmental awareness and appreciation
• Provide direct trip leadership and logistical support and planning for the Out-Trip Program during the Outdoor Education season by supervising and supporting the Outdoor Education Wilderness Tripping Team Leader
• Ensure instructors have the skills, resources, direction, and support to deliver programs that are safe, fun and educational through direct supervision, mentoring and feedback
• Provide direct program delivery acting as an Outdoor Education Instructor
• Adhere to YMCA Camping and BCCA accreditation standards in program and service delivery
• Oversee and supervise mass activities and games, creation of lesson plans, program delivery and campfires
• Review expected bookings and schedule dates and times for programs and activities
• Ensure maintenance of site and equipment, adequate supplies, and perform dining hall duties, cleaning and janitorial work
• Complete administrative paperwork – provide and collect surveys, write a group report on participant progress, program successes and recommendations, complete FIT forms and the daily log book, and remind and assist instructors with their paperwork obligations
• Provide direct program delivery, mentoring and support
• Provide communications to schools, participants, parents, teachers and instructors on program goals, assisting with final details and arrivals, maximizing participation, understanding expectations, listening to and addressing concerns and providing post-program feedback
• Maintain effective communication with Supervisor and other Association personnel and volunteers; provide ongoing communications with supervisor on participant issues and concerns
• Deal with a variety of youth/parent problems including behavioral, listening, attentiveness, homesickness, and drug, alcohol and tobacco issues
• Take a senior leadership role during evenings and weekends as the on-site Duty Manager
• Ensure the safety of staff, groups of students, participants, and volunteers by effectively practicing, supervising, and adhering to health and safety, security and risk management policies and procedures
• Assist in training staff to fully prepare them to deal with emergencies, maintain emergency plan; must be capable of leadership during emergency situations
• Identify hazards and areas of risk, and implementing corrective measures including reporting on required facility and equipment maintenance, repairs, and replacement
• Participate in the training of new employees and volunteers, performance reviews, conflict resolution, conducting pre-season training and in-service training programs.
• Ensure that all staff and volunteers follow all Association policies including Finance, Personnel, Health and Safety
• Post-Secondary Education (completed or in progress) or an equivalent combination of training and experience
• 40-hour Wilderness First Aid (or equivalent/higher) and CPR C (CPR C recertified in the last 12 months) required
• National Lifeguard certification required
• Rock Climbing Instructor Level 1 certification (taken within 2 years) required
• SKGABC Assistant Overnight Guide certification considered an asset
• Minimum 2 years of program instructor and out-trip leader experience
• Clear Police/RCMP Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume, identifying the specific position(s) you are applying for, to:
YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island
1. Application Deadline: This posting will close when a suitable candidate has been found.
2. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this position.
3. We thank all applicants, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island is an equal opportunity employer.