Lifeguards and Swim Instructors
Permanent Full-Time: 35 hours/week
Permanent Part-Time: 20-34 hours/week
Casual: Up to 19 hours/week (on call or regular shifts)
Wage Range: $16.95 – 17.45/hour (+ benefits for permanent positions)
Hours: Current shifts available are weekday evenings (4:00pm-10:15pm); however, due to the seasonal peaks in our operation, the work schedule will flex to accommodate the needs of our members and participants.
Nature and Scope:
The Aquatic Staff team provides high quality programs and services to our members and participants, and works as a member of the Health, Fitness and Aquatics program team. This includes maintaining a safe aquatic environment, educating the public regarding safe swimming habits, and providing progressive swimming instruction in the YMCA aquatic system.
Full-time positions will be required to work a Sunday – Thursday or Tuesday – Saturday work week. Permanent part-time (PPT) positions require the flexibility to work weekends, opening/closing shifts and some statutory holidays (rotational basis). All permanent positions qualify for 3 weeks paid vacation (pro-rated for PPT), a YMCA-YWCA Individual General Membership, as well as a cost-shared group benefits plan after the probationary period which includes:
- Medical (MSP coverage after one month)
- Healthcare, Drug Plan, Dental, Vision, EAP Plan
- Extended Health Care
- Life Insurance
- Eligibility for the YMCA Canada Pension Plan
Casual positions are entitled to an individual YMCA-YWCA General Membership.
(As relevant to the specific position with the Aquatic team)
- Provides excellent customer service to members, volunteers, and staff
- Ensures all safety and life guarding procedures are adhered to, and in the event of an emergency responds as trained by the Association
- Enforces all rules and regulations and maintain order in his/her designated area as a proactive approach to ensuring safety and accident prevention
- Plans, organizes and implements core lesson plans/daily lesson plans, progress reports and evaluations
- Maintains accurate, up to date progress sheets and records for participants
- Keeps Daily Log up to date and accurate
- Set-up and take-down lane markers, program and other equipment as required
- Ensure that equipment is safe and in good repair (report immediately any malfunctions and remove any damaged equipment immediately)
- Maintenance and cleaning duties as required
- Assist in the supervision and leadership of assistant instructors and volunteers
- Ensure the safety of all members, participants, staff, and property by following YMCA-YWCA standards/policies/procedures and ensuring they are maintained amongst all members and staff
- Monitor commitment to service excellence by role modelling and maintaining YMCA SAM 2.1 standards Develops and maintain professional and courteous relationships with members and participants
- Contribute as a member of our staff team in the overall operation of the Westhills Y Branch, including performing other duties as assigned
- Current National Lifeguard certification required
- Current YMCA Swim Instructor or Red Cross Water Safety Instructor certification required
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR C certification required
- Clear Police/RCMP Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening required
- YMCA or BCRPA Aquafit certification a strong asset
- Commitment to Organization Vision and Values
- Commitment to Health and Safety
- Customer Service
- Problem Solving
- Planning and Organization
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume, indicating the position that you are applying for (and preferred hours - FT, PT or Casual) in the subject line of your email, to:
YMCA-YWCA Vancouver Island
1. Application Deadline: This posting will remain open until suitable candidates have been found.
2. We thank all applicants, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island is an equal opportunity employer.