Lifeguards and Swim Instructors
Westhills YMCA-YWCA (Langford, BC)
Downtown Victoria YMCA-YWCA (Victoria, BC)
Permanent Full-Time: 35 hours/week [Westhills Langford Y only]
Permanent Part-Time: 20-34 hours/week [Westhills Langford Y only]
Casual: Up to 19 hours/week (on call or regular shifts) [Downtown Victoria Y & Westhills Langford Y]
Wage Range: $17.46 – $18.49/hour (+ benefits for permanent positions)
Nature and Scope:
The Aquatic Staff team provides high quality programs and services to our members and participants, and works as a member of the Health, Fitness and Aquatics program team. This includes maintaining a safe aquatic environment, educating the public regarding safe swimming habits, and providing progressive swimming instruction in the YMCA aquatic system.
Full-time positions will be required to work a Sunday – Thursday or Tuesday – Saturday work week. Permanent part-time (PPT) and casual positions require the flexibility to work weekends, opening/closing shifts and some statutory holidays (rotational basis). All permanent positions qualify for 3 weeks paid vacation (pro-rated for PPT), a YMCA-YWCA Individual General Membership, as well as a cost-shared group benefits plan after the probationary period which includes:
- Medical (MSP coverage after one month)
- Healthcare, Drug Plan, Dental, Vision, EAP Plan
- Extended Health Care
- Life Insurance
- Eligibility for the YMCA Canada Pension Plan
Casual positions are entitled to an individual YMCA-YWCA General Membership.
(As relevant to the specific position with the Aquatic team)
- Provide excellent customer service to members, volunteers, and staff
- Ensure all safety and lifeguarding procedures are adhered to, and in the event of an emergency respond as trained by the Association
- Enforce all rules and regulations and maintain order in designated area as a proactive approach to ensuring safety and accident prevention
- Plan, organize and implement core lesson plans/daily lesson plans, progress reports and evaluations
- Maintain accurate, up-to-date progress sheets and records for participants
- Keep Daily Log up-to-date and accurate
- Set-up and take-down lane markers, program and other equipment as required
- Ensure that equipment is safe and in good repair (report immediately any malfunctions and remove any damaged equipment immediately)
- Maintenance and cleaning duties as required
- Assist in the supervision and leadership of assistant instructors and volunteers
- Ensure the safety of all members, participants, staff, and property by following YMCA-YWCA standards/policies/procedures and ensuring they are maintained amongst all members and staff
- Monitor commitment to service excellence by role modelling and maintaining YMCA SAM 2.1 standards Develops and maintain professional and courteous relationships with members and participants
- Contribute as a member of our staff team in the overall operation of the Westhills Y Branch, including performing other duties as assigned
- Current National Lifeguard certification required
- Current YMCA Swim Instructor or Red Cross Water Safety Instructor certification required
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR C certification required
- Clear Police/RCMP Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening required
- YMCA or BCRPA Aquafit certification a strong asset
- Commitment to Organization Vision and Values
- Commitment to Health and Safety
- Customer Service
- Problem Solving
- Planning and Organization
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume, indicating the if you are applying for a PFT, PPT or Casual position, including which location (Westhills Y or Downtown Y).
YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island
1. Application Deadline: This posting will remain open until suitable candidates have been found.
2. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this position.
3. We thank all applicants, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island is an equal opportunity employer.