Assistant Swim Instructor/Waterslide Attendant
Westhills YMCA-YWCA (Langford, BC)
Position: Casual (up to 19 hours/week)
Hours: Current shifts available are weekday evenings (4:30pm-8:30pm), Saturday mornings (9:30am- 12:00pm), and weekend afternoons (1:00pm-4:00pm). However, due to the seasonal peaks in our operation, the work schedule will flex to accommodate the needs of our members and participants.
Nature and Scope:
The Aquatic Staff team provides high quality programs and services to our members and participants, and works as a member of the Health, Fitness and Aquatics program team. The Assistant Swim Instructor/Waterslide Attendant position assists in maintaining a safe aquatic environment, assists in providing progressive swimming instruction in the YMCA aquatic system and ensures the safe operation of waterslide use by members
Casual positions are entitled to an individual YMCA-YWCA Classic Membership.
- Provide excellent customer service to members, volunteers, and staff
- Enforce all rules and regulations and maintain order at the top of the waterslide (“Slide Top”) as a proactive approach to ensuring safety and accident prevention
- Assist Swim Instructors with the instruction of swim lessons
- Set-up and take-down lane markers, program and other equipment as required
- Ensure that equipment is safe and in good repair (report immediately any malfunctions and remove any damaged equipment immediately)
- Ensure the safety of all members, participants, staff, and property by following YMCA-YWCA standards/policies/procedures and ensuring they are maintained amongst all members and staff
- Monitor commitment to service excellence by role modelling and maintaining YMCA SAM 2.1 standards
- Develop and maintain professional and courteous relationships with members and participants
- Contribute as a member of the staff team in the overall operation of the Westhills Y Branch
- Ability to complete repetitive tasks with the same constant high level of consistency and quality
- Willingness to continue with advanced aquatic courses once of age to do so
- Current Bronze Cross certification required
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR C certification required
- Clear Police/RCMP Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening required
- Must be a minimum of fifteen (15) years of age
- Commitment to Organization Vision and Values
- Commitment to Health and Safety
- Customer Service
- Problem Solving
- Planning and Organization
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to:
YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island
1. Application Deadline: This posting will close when suitable candidates have been found.
2. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this position.
3. Internal applicants are expected to inform their supervisor prior to application.
4. We thank all applicants, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island is an equal opportunity employer.